The Director of Licensing is responsible for strategy, oversight and growth of the Minor League Baseball (MiLB) consumer products licensing program. The Director of Licensing collaborates with Major League Baseball (MLB), the league’s licensing agent, to achieve business goals and manage the business for long term success.
Key responsibilities include developing and implementing retail marketing strategies to expand the presence of MiLB licensed merchandise at retail and elevate consumer demand. Collaborating closely with MiLB’s licensing agent, member teams and other internal departments such as legal, finance, marketing, and digital to ensure adherence to brand standards and maximize revenue growth.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Classification: Salaried, Exempt
Location: St. Petersburg, Fla.
Direct Reports (1): Assistant Director, Licensing
- Design, develop and oversee execution of licensing and retail marketing campaigns created to promote revenue growth.
- Collaborate with licensing agent to identify new consumer product licensing opportunities and oversee all aspects of key strategic new business opportunities.
- Serve as primary liaison to the MiLB Licensing Committee, to Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP), and member teams and leagues on licensing and consumer products.
- Negotiate and execute licensing of MiLB and team trademarks for film, television and print productions.
- Develop and execute licensing initiatives designed to promote team mascots and historic trademarks.
- Create and execute annual strategic plan and manage program budgets.
- Coordinate, prepare and direct program administration and communication.
- Collaborate with Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Licensing Committee Chair to negotiate and implement Licensing Representation Agreement (LRA).
- Propose, police and enforce program policies and compliance.
- Oversee financial reporting, annual royalty distributions and team royalty audits.
- Oversee quality control review of all company materials and third-party use of team and corporate trademarks.
- Work closely with Assistant Director of Licensing to ensure continued success of department and goals.
- Supervise licensee approval process and licensee contract database.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by COO.